All Saints' Episcopal Church
Living and Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ
All Saints’ Mission: Living and Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
All Saints’ of Yesteryear
A small group of families traveling great distances in the middle 1950’s felt the need for an Episcopal Church in the Cayce-West Columbia area. After a Sunday service at St John’s in Columbia, the men were visiting and wondered why not a church in Cayce. The men met with the Rector of St John’s who was very supportive and sent them to the bishop. However, the bishop was less optimistic and felt an Episcopal Church would never succeed in the Cayce-West Columbia area. But a small group of men went door to door and soon had a good following. So, the seed was planted, God tended His Garden and it grew.
And so we began: On August 30, 1959, the first services were held in a building on State Street across from Brookland-Cayce High School. The Rt. Rev. C. Alfred Cole, the Ven. John Pinckney and the Rev. Winfield D. Smith presided. On September 1, 1959, Rev. Smith was appointed Priest-In-Charge. Growth and prospective growth became so evident by early fall of 1960 that plans had to be made to start our new and permanent home.
Land was purchased on Twelfth Street in Cayce and ground was broken in December 1960 to build on this property. On May 28, 1961, the new Chapel-Parish House was used for the first time. Presently, this building serves as our church school rooms, offices, and kitchen and as our fellowship hall. The building is now known as the Smith Parish House named in honor of Rev. Winfield Smith, our first rector. We used this building for many years as our place of worship. On December 20, 1973, the first service was held in the new sanctuary built on the adjoining property next to the Smith Parish House.
Twelfth Street is located in Cayce, South Carolina, on the west side of the Congaree River adjoining South Carolina’s capital city, Columbia, on the eastern side. It is less than three miles from the State House, the downtown business section, the University of South Carolina’s main campus and the Diocesan House of Upper South Carolina.
In 1991 the first stained glass window was installed in the West wall over the narthex as well as the eight smaller windows in the nave. All are dedicated in honor of faithful servants of All Saints. In 1994 the columbarium was dedicated. The South stained glass window was installed and dedicated in 1996. In the late 1990s the All Saints' Prayer Garden was designed and dedicated to the members of All Saints' Church. In November 2009, on All Saints’ Day, we celebrated our 50th Anniversary. At this time the third stained glass window was installed and dedicated.